- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pound USDA prime hanger steak, trimmed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinaigrette
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 ears sweet corn, shucked
- 3 to 4 tablespoons crumbled Cotija cheese
For the steak:
1. Set up a gas or charcoal grill for medium-high direct heat.
2. In a small bowl, mix all the spices together. Then rub the mixture liberally on hanger steak. Let sit and come to room temperature.
3. Place the steak on the grill and sear on all sides, approximately 1½-2 minutes a side (all four sides), steak should be at 130°F for medium rare. Remove and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
For the dressing:
Place all salad dressing ingredients into blender or mixer then pour in olive oil slowly to incorporate all ingredients evenly. Set aside.
For the salad:
Rub corn, peppers and onion with olive oil and salt. When grill is ready, place veggies on the grill and char on all sides (being careful not to burn them, just grill marks). Remove and let cool.
Chop grilled veggies and place in a serving bowl with the lettuce, avocado and tomatoes. Slice steak against the grain and place on top of salad. Drizzle dressing over top. Sprinkle cheese over the salad and serve.