For the brine:
In a large pot, heat all the ingredients with 1/2 gallon of water and whisk until all of the salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove and allow to cool completely.
For the pork chops:
1. Place the pork chops in a container large enough to hold the chops and all of the brine. Add the brine and refrigerate for at least eight hours and up to overnight.
2. Remove the chops from the brine and pat dry. Leave covered on the counter for one hour to get to room temp.
3. Heat a pellet smoker with cherry pellets to 200°F. Place the chops directly on the grates and cook with the lid closed for 30-50 minutes until the chops get to an internal temp of 130°F. Pull them and let them rest for five minutes.
4. While the chops are resting, bring a cast iron skillet to a medium-high temperature on a stovetop or over direct heat on a grill. Add the butter, garlic and sage. As soon as the butter is melted add the chops. Cook, 3-4 minutes per side, (while basting) until the chops are browned and hit an internal temperature of 140°F.
5. Remove from heat and allow to rest for ten minutes. Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt.