- 5 strips thick-cut bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1½ pound bag tri-colored fingerling potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- Four hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped (approximately 5 to 6 tablespoons)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to finish
- 1 tablespoon horseradish mustard
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the potatoes:
1. In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crispy (save a few tablespoons of the rendered bacon fat for coating the potatoes when grilling). Cool bacon and drain on paper towels.
2. Put enough water into the pot to completely cover potatoes. Add a pinch of salt. Once water begins to boil, par cook potatoes for approximately 6-8 minutes (or until tender when sticking a knife into the potato). Drain and set aside to cool in a single layer.
3. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
4. Halve potatoes lengthwise when cool and rub with olive oil (or bacon fat), salt and pepper. On medium-high heat, place potatoes on grill pan, cut side down, to get a nice color and char (approximately 3 minutes). Flip potatoes if desired and repeat.
5. Remove cooked potatoes from grill, cool slightly.
For the dressing:
In a large bowl, combine mustard, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, zest, salt and pepper. Carefully add in olive oil while whisking until blended.
In a large bowl, combine the potatoes with the dressing, eggs and bacon. Mix together carefully so not to break the potatoes. Plate and top with chives, salt and pepper.