- 2 cups - shredded queso quesadilla cheese
- 1 lbs - boneless chicken thighs
- 3 T - vegetable oil
- 6 x cloves of chopped garlic
- 1/4 c - ancho chili powder
- 1/4 c - guajillo chili powder
- 3 T - achiote (or achiote blend)
- 8 oz can of crushed pineapple (with juices)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 T kosher salt
- 1 x whole pineapple, peeled and quartered
- 1 x sweet onion, cut into thick slices
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (with stems)
- Red Tuxedo
- 2 x habanero peppers - finely diced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 4 tortillas
To make the marinade for the chicken: We are using a @rick_bayless method for creating marinades from powdered chili instead of whole dried chili. Heat a frying pan on medium-high heat. Add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook for about one minute. Then add the ancho, guajillo, achiote, pineapple, water, and salt and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5-8 minutes until it is reduced to a paste. Allow the marinade to cool, add it to the chicken, and place in the fridge for 8-24 hours.
To make the salsa: Liberally coat the onion and pineapple with our very own Red Tuxedo (available from Spiceology) and grill. Once you get a nice char on all sides remove it from the grill. Dice the onion and pineapple and combine with the cilantro, habanero, and lime juice. Give it a taste and see if it needs more salt.
Grill the chicken direct until 165º internal and a bit crispy on the edges. Dice the chicken and set it aside.
Place a comal (or plancha or griddle) on the grill and pre-heat it. We used the @madein comal. Do as many tacos as your pan fits at a time. Lightly brush the pan with oil. Then place 1/4 cup of cheese in a small pile where each tortilla will go. Place the tortilla on top of the cheese and add the chicken. Allow it to cook until the cheese has cooked into a golden brown crunchy crust.
Remove, top with salsa and hot sauce, and serve!